Venue: Latham Ballroom (Inn at Virginia Tech), Blacksburg
Date: October 20, 2012
Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Event Types: Food, Miscellaneous, Family Friendly, Arts & Theatre, Speaking Engagements
On October 20, 2012, the Virginia Tech Department of Entomology will host the second annual Alwood Days - Hokie Bugfest - a festival to promote the fun and excitement of the science of entomology and to celebrate the Alwood legacy.
Tentative Exhibits include, but are not limited to:
- Bug Zoo with bird-eating tarantulas, hissing cockroaches, scorpions and giant millipedes among others
- Demonstration hive and beekeeper education - New River Beekeepers
- Gypsy moth GIS & Spatial Technology Lab
- The Alberti Flea Circus
- "Robotic Bugs" - Virginia Tech Engineering
- Virginia Tech Apiculture Laboratory - bee suits, equipment, posters, pollinators, research
- Picture yourself as an insect - photo op for moms!
- Aquatic Entomology Laboratory (fly fishing, fly-tying exhibit, aquatic insects)
- Virginia Tech Hokie Bird
- Bug vision - see the world through an insect's eyes!
- Virginia Tech Insect ID Laboratory
- Cockroach races! Whose roach will win? Prizes!
- We dare you to put your hands in the "Tank of Doom"!
- Cockroach tractor pull
- The mosquito - the most dangerous animal on Earth!
- Kuhar Laboratory - come play with our stink bugs!
- Insect Crafts
- And many more other fun activites
This outreach event is held in collaboration with our department's W. B. Alwood Entomological Society. Since its inception in 1966, this student-run organization has hosted over 30,000 school students through our labs and at related events in the region. Our goal with the Hokie Bugfest is to give our graduate students an opportunity to host a large outreach event and to raise funds for their activities - including future Bugfests.
We are excited and hopeful that the 2012 Hokie Bugfest will be as big a success as last year. We welcomed over 2,000 of the region's youth, schools, clubs, and other organizations in 2011. We hope many more of our friends will attend this year's event.
For more information, visit: http://www.hokiebugfest.com/